Hore (most common)



By a Cornish Hore

(with perhaps a touch of Irish)

The Cornish Hore Story

The relatively recent history (about the last 200 years)

For much of this information, I am indebted to my Father's uncle, Clarence F. Hore. Uncle Clarrie, in 1986, put together an excellent publication called

"From Cornwall to South Australia"
A family History of Joseph and Susan Hore
1864 Onwards

Firstly, an apology to my Mother, Adelaide Joan Reardon who died in 1961. I have concentrated on the history and connections of the Hore family and have not delved into the Reardon background much at all.. The Reardon side of my family is not as well recorded and I will pursue this when I have gone as far as I can with the Hores.

Much of what I have found cannot be properly attributed and has come from photocopies of documents tracked down during our travels, bits of books where the title and author are not known and other peoples work. This type of information means there is considerable doubt at times, whether the Hore roots of our branch are properly connected. Certainly, there is a huge gap between the histories of the name in Ireland and Cornwall, written by various authors, notably Art Kavanagh and Roy Murphy in "The Wexford Gentry" and John Hore who died in 1802, who is our first traceable ancestor.

There is no proof of connection between the Irish Hore families and ours who came from Cornwall. However, does it really matter? It is a good story.

I have included some information about Horetown, near Wexford and Hore Abbey near Cashel, both in Ireland. We could believe these are a part of our heritage, but who knows. I have also included some links to other sites that give a lot more background to the name and to our probable Coat of Arms.

The Search Begins in Ireland

We found a stack of Irish Hore connections during our trip to Ireland in April 2000. We appear to be from the landed gentry on both sides of the Irish sea. What a pity the silly old buggers on our side of the family decided to go underground and dig tin in Cornwall. Story of our lives I suppose!

Some articles I have found suggest we are not related closely to the Irish Hores, as the Cornish Hores had a different coat of arms from those in Devon (who are directly descended from the Irish families). For mine, we could say Devon is close enough to Cornwall for us to be all from the same line. Why should a coat of arms come between us? Apparently the black two headed eagle I always thought was our coat of arms may not be right. Ours is apparently a silver bordered shield with three red, broad vertical stripes on a white background but I cannot find a copy of that anywhere, so we are stuck with the old one! However I have tracked down all of the above and the one with the three red circles seem to be the Cornish favorite. So we can take our pick I suppose.

Be that as it may, I felt more at home here around Horetown and in Ireland generally, than I ever did in Cornwall. If you believe in fairies, you could believe in some kind of genetically imprinted memories. Course there was always my mother's family Reardon (all O'Riordan in Ireland) connection anyway. Might chase that down next trip (if ever). We loved Ireland and have to go back one day, so an excuse like that will do.

And you all thought we were just 'common Hores!" as my Dad used to say.

This section has been extracted from Uncle Clarrie Hore's book ""From Cornwall to South Australia" A family History of Joseph and Susan Hore - 1864 Onwards. I have added information where I know it and editorialised a bit. I hope Uncle Clarrie doesn't mind.

There are many more details of other branches of the family in Uncle Clarrie's book, too numerous to include here. Any reader who would like more information on this book is welcome to email me at 'robhore@hotmail.com'

After completing his book, Uncle Clarrie received some more information that traced the family back even further. These details were provided by Mrs. Barbara Pullar nee Hore of Otago in New Zealand.

John Hore of St Austell who birth date is unknown, died in 1802. He had a son, Matthew Hore who was baptised on 21-12-1736 at St Austell Cornwall. Matthew married Eleanor Long on 23-9-1756 at St Austell. They had a daughter Elizabeth and three sons, John, Mathew, William and Robert. John was baptised on 23-5-1763 and married Elizabeth Nicolls on 7-2-1792.

John and Elizabeth had three daughters, Jane, Elizabeth and Elinor and seven sons, John, Matthew, William, Robert, Sampson, Joseph, Philip and Jacob.

Joseph was baptised on 12-3-1809 at St Austell and he married Elizabeth Luke. They had two daughters, Elizabeth and Anne, and five sons, Joseph, Sampson, William, Richard and Philip. Joseph, the eldest married Susan Jane Merritt. They had three sons born in St Austell and then emigrated to Australia where they had seven more children whose history is picked up by Uncle Clarrie.

Joseph's brothers Sampson and Richard emigrated to New Zealand and nothing is known, at this time, of the rest of the family.

Now back to Uncle Clarrie.


Our story begins, for our purposes, when Joseph and Susan Jane Hore with their three sons, John in his fifth year, Joseph almost three years of age and William ten months old, went to Plymouth and embarked on the ship "Eastern Empire". They left their borne country of Cornwall, departing from the Port on the 16th March 1864, for they were emigrating to South Australia, a young country that seemed to offer a better life for a young family.

It was a long journey in those days to sail half way around the globe and to the Southern Hemisphere. There was no short cut through the Suez. It was a three months journey for the Eastern Empire. There were 388 emigrants from England on the ship; 44 married men, 46 married women, 147 single men, 81 single women, 27 boys and 30 girls aged between 1 and 12 years, besides 13 infants under one year.

The ships register listed "Joseph Hore, 26 years, conduct good —passed a note once." The single men and single women were kept separated for the journey and they apparently took opportunity to communicate by writing notes and used the married folk to deliver then, apparently Joseph had obliged and was caught. Joseph was listed as a copper miner from Cornwall. Many Cornish miners were attracted to South Australia because of the discovery of copper, firstly at Kapunda and then at Burra in 1845.

In a lecture given to the South Australian Methodist Historical Society in 1960, the Rev, Harry Alvey said that in the years 1846 — 1847 many miners immigrated to Australia. From the Parish of St. Just alone over 600 persons left in four months. Many of these Cornish people settled in Burra. By 1851 there were a thousand men and boys employed at the mine. The population of Kooringa, the town, was estimated to be five thousand. Some news of this development would have reached the folk back in Cornwall, even with the restricted means of communication of those days. Then too, copper had been discovered at Moonta and Wallaroo in 1861, giving further encouragement to Cornish miners still at home, to venture to South Australia, where there was a demand for miners, and promise of work and a livelihood for years ahead, and maybe, of gaining some of the wealth.


Joseph and Susan with their young family, arrived at Port Adelaide on 20th June 1864, disembarked and made their way to Burra, a journey of over one hundred miles or one hundred and fifty kilometers north of Adelaide. As early as 1851 there were five mails by coach from Adelaide to Burra each week. No doubt the Hore family had friends and relatives to welcome them at Burra and to help them to find accommodation as they began life in a new country. Records in the Archives of the South Australian Public library show that a number of members of the Hore family came to South Australia earlier, from 1851, and quite a number came in 1857.


From information gathered, Joseph Hore was born at St. Austell, Cornwall, on the 8th February 1839, the son of another Joseph, whose wife was named Elizabeth (nee Luke). He apparently was the eldest of four boys, and there has been a suggestion that he had a sister. The brothers' names were Sampson, born 14/1/1841 and died 6/8/1926. Sampson settled in Christchurch, New Zealand. There are no records in the Archives of Sampson having migrated to South Australia, so it is likely that he went directly to New Zealand. There have been visits to and from this family, as well as some members corresponding. There was a brother named Richard of whom we know no more, and William Hore, whom we believe, went to Broken Hill. Records show a William F Hore, 18 years of age, farm labourer from Cornwall, sailed in the "Mary Shepherd from Plymouth for Port Adelaide on 10th January 1863, arriving 19th April 1863. Whether this was the brother we do not know. There was a cousin William Hore, who was employed at the Moonta Mines as a stable foreman. His only child was named Emiline, who married James Williams, living at Moonta Mines. Of this marriage there were three sons, Norman, Spence and another. The name Joseph was continued in the family for a couple of further generations. Their second son was named Joseph, who named his second son Joseph. The eldest son John named his second son Joseph, who also named his son Joseph Milton. The fourth son, Charles named his third son Joseph, and there is a Josef in Sydney Hore descendants,

Susan Jane's maiden name was Merritt, a name that was later given as a Christian name to two of the grandsons, Thomas Merritt Hore and Clarence Keith Merritt Hore.

Subsequently, Keith's grandson, son of Bronte Robin, continued in the tradition being named Christopher Merritt Hore.


It is not known for how long Joseph and Susan lived at Burra. Joseph may have worked in the Burra mines. At that time the mines at Burra were running down and Wallaroo and Moonta mines were developing. Many families had moved from Burra to the new mines on Yorke Peninsula. One small piece of evidence that could indicate the briefness of the family’s stay at Burra is in the Redruth (Burra North) Wesleyan Methodist Sunday school roll books of attendance for 1864. Joseph is listed on the roll as a teacher, having attended on the 24th and 31st of July. On the Infant Class Roll the names of John and Joseph appear at the bottom of the list and are marked as having attended on the 24th July only. The rolls were re-written over the page for the months of August to October, including the children’s names, but without them having attended. This may be an indication that the family soon moved on to Wallaroo Mines, leaving Burra. They went to Wallaroo Mines, there to set up home for an extended time and Joseph worked in the Mines.

Little is known of those years between settling in Wallaroo Mines and the 1880’s, other than that children were born and cared for and Joseph was working in the Mines. The fifth child and son, Richard, born early in 1863, died in his ninth year, and the next child, their first daughter, Matilda, born in 1870, died in her sixth year, the two dying within a few months of each other. Prior to their deaths two more daughters were born, and then a fourth daughter Kate, the ninth child, was born and lived only nine months.

Conditions for living were far from ideal and the health of the family was often at risk. Typhoid fever, diphtheria and other scourges were a great threat to life and cures had not been discovered. Medical attention was often unavailable and so there was often loss of life in families.

The tenth child, Robert, was born in 1879 and at about this time Joseph was considering purchasing land for farming. By this time several of the older members of the family had been working for several years. It was told that at eight years of age John worked in Wallaroo Mines, driving the horse or horses in the whip or the whim, probably under ground as they hauled the small trucks of ore along the drives to the shaft. This would have been about three years after arriving in this country. So the older boys had worked for several years when the land was taken up at Willamulka.


The South Australian Government opened up applications for the allocation of land in the Willamulka district between Kadina and Bute. Joseph was one of the first to be allotted sections. Sections 76 and 147 in the Hundred of Ninnes were allotted to Joseph Hore in 1880. His occupation was stated as Miner and residence, Wallaroo Mines.

In a brief history of Willamulka, written by G. Middleton September 12th 1929, he stated, "First of all I took up 861 acres of land in the Hundred of Ninnes.,.,.. This was on August 21st 1881.... The Wallaroo Mining Company about the middle part of 1882 put down the Willamulka Siding. Just before then the Railways Department put in a siding at the 7-mile. The farmers around the nine-mile had to guarantee a large supply of firewood to the Company for the concession. The year 1882 being a dry year, only poor crops were gathered - there was not much doing in the building line, but next season, 1883, there was an extraordinary good result, crops going as high as 16 bushels to the acre, therefore farmers put up decent homes. Prior to that only pine huts and wattle and daub houses were to be seen."

After taking up land in 1880, apparently Joseph continued to work in the mine for a time while some of the boys cut down scrub between the sections, which they called ‘cut lines’ wide enough to drive a horse and dray through. The land had to be cleared of scrub and cultivated before sowing to crop. Later a mud hut was built on the western side of the property. From Middleton history it reads that about 1883 Joseph Hore, who then resided in a nice home on the Boundary Road half or three quarter of a mile north of the ten mile crossing, and was then building a new house on top of the Hill against the Railway.

Fred Hore (a grandson) said, "After a few years they bought another property two miles west of the home property. The purchase price was 600 pounds for 650 acres. This property became John’s farm and on his retirement his son Richard took over and farmed it until he retired in Kadina."

The Chronicle of 7/2/1920, page 33 reported, ‘Mr. Joseph Hore of Willamulka, on February 6th completed his 81st year. (His birthday was on the 8th February). He is a native of Cornwall. He arrived in this State nearly 56 years ago, and went to the Burra Mines, and later to Wallaroo Mines, where he worked for some time. He was among the first to take up land at Willamulka 35 years ago (actually it was 40 years) and has met with a good measure of success. He has 5 sons and 2 daughters and 33 grandchildren." There was no mention of the number of great grandchildren.


Little has been told of Susan Jane, who had been a faithful hard working wife and mother. Fred Hore, a grandson wrote, ‘Susan was a lovely soul, her time was fully taken up caring for her large family. She died of cancer at 61 years. I was 12 years of age when she died. I remember her quite well. Several of the family were around the bedside. Her last request was that all those who were present promise that they would meet her in heaven. I was the only child present but I beard her make the request.

Joseph and Susan were married in 1858. Joseph’s death certificate states that he was 19 years of age when he married. Later he married Elizabeth.


From later reports and events, it seems evident that before coming to South Australia, Joseph and Susan had an active association with the Church. Only a month after arriving in Burra, Joseph was enrolled as a teacher in the Sunday school at Redruth, Burra North of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, which indicates earlier activities with the Wesleyan Methodists.

The first Sunday Services at Willamulka were held in Joseph and Susan’s home. A grandson stated that the first service was held under a tree on the Hore property. He also stated that Joseph was a lay reader. He traveled around to other churches taking services being transported with horse and spring cart and later in the buggy. Joseph apparently presided at that first service under the tree. Later the mud hut was built.

G. Middleton’s brief history of Willamulka says, "their attention was directed to building a Church in the locality. Several sites were spoken about but nothing definite was chosen. The Wesleyans were approached on the matter, the Rev. Newman, then minister stationed at Kadina, was invited to inspect the district and work Willamulka in with Wintanerta, which they already had going, but be informed us he couldn’t supply us with preachers, and turned the business down.

The Bible Christian Minister of Kadina then took the matter up and, with Mr. Thomas Rodda, who lived three miles north east of Kadina, drove out in Mr. Rodda’s buggy and pair. They called at Mr. Joseph Hore’s, who then resided in a nice home on the Boundary Road, a half or three quarter of a mile north of the ten mile crossing. Mr. Hore was then building a new house on the top of the hill against the railway, and as soon as it was completed he offered the use of it to Mr. Varley and services were conducted there till the Church was completed, this was early 1884. It was in the latter part of 1333 that Mr. Varley visited the locality and arranged with Mr. Hore to hold a meeting in his pine house about fixing a site for the new Church. There was a good muster, chiefly young folks who were not allowed to vote. Such as Mr. N. Hall, snr. who resided due south from the twelve and a half mile crossing, Mr. John Mercer, 1 mile east of the 16 mile crossing, now Mona, Mr. C March snr., Messrs Rothwell, Paterson and Mr. Matthews, these all voted for twelve and a half mile crossing, which was carried at the meeting. Messrs. Joseph Hore snr John Mercer, John Roe, jnr. Edmund White, W.H.B. Paterson, John Rothwell and G. E. Middleton were appointed trustees. Mr.Paterson presented one acre of land to the trust at the meeting over which Mr. Varley presided." Joseph Hore was a trustee of the Church until his death in 1920. "At the time of the building of the Church Messrs. Hore snr. And Paterson put the roof on, also the floor and the ceiling. The Church was completed about the middle of December, a week before Christmas day. I (Middleton) carted the seats etc. up from the siding at 5 am. having called up Mr. Hore to help us load.

At the laying of the foundation stone of the Church, a marquee had been erected. A tea took place, a good spread was provided by Mrs. Hore snr. I think Mrs. Edmund White prepared the other table. A Public Meeting followed, presided over by Mr. Joseph Hore. Speeches were given ... also Mr. Hore, who could always find something to say to liven up any meeting. The young people rendered excellent singing. Miss Nellie Langmead (later to be the wife of Charles Hore) and Miss Fanny Cocks, each gave a song.

At the public meeting following a tea held at the time of the opening of the Church, Christmas Day, following other addresses and speeches, Mr. Hore also gave a humorous address of his early experiences. He took the credit for being the first original to start farming there. He recalled when he first saw the chapel hill, that he saw an old man hanging from a pine tree against the railway, but it was a dummy placed there to frighten the men on returning from Kadina, where they spent the week ends, while making the railway. This is what I recall of Mr. Hore’s speech at the opening, and how he rejoiced that the lord had called him to render service in his vineyard, by the way he had seen fit to offer his house to the Bible Christians to further the cause"

The first marriage celebrated in the Willamulka Bible Christian Church was between Charles Hore and Nellie Langmead.

Willamulka Church was renowned for its singing, keeping up with the Cornish tradition. For many years the choir, under the leadership of John Hore, provided anthems and songs for regular Sunday services and for special occasions such as anniversaries. The Sunday school Anniversary always drew a large attendance, filling the little Church to overflowing, the congregation coming from the surrounding districts. John was the conductor of the choir and a Sunday school teacher for 35 years. Several members of the Hore family made up the singers in the choir. At the celebration of 90 years of the Church, several of the Hore family assisted with the programme. Keith Hore returned and sang. The three Ramseys, Lola, Lill and Morris sang with Lill’s husband Ross, and Morris's wife Heather provided some of the instrumental music.

Here we have evidence that Joseph and Susan Hore and their descendants played a significant role in the life of the community and Church at Willamulka. In those days much of the community life centered around the Church life, particularly in the smaller centres.


The Chronicle of 11/9/1920, column B reported Mr. Joseph Hore of Willamulka, whose death recently occurred, was born at St. Austell, Cornwall in 1839. He came to this State about 64 years ago, (actually 56 years) in the ship Eastern Empire and farmed successfully for a long period at Willamulka. He left 5 sons, John and Charles Hore at Willamulka, Joseph Hore, Largs Bay, William Hore, Kadina. Robert Hore, Port Brouqhton and two daughters, Mesdames Clark, Kadina, and Riseborough Wagin, W.A. and 34 grandchildren." No mention was made of several great grandchildren.


Robert (Bert) the youngest of the family was only a young child when the family moved to the farm at Willamulka. Bert and Alice Rothwell were married at the Tickera Methodist Church 3/9/1903. The Rothwell family had been amongst the early settlers at Willamulka. Bert and Alice went to Wallaroo Mines after their marriage and in 1913 they took up farming in the Bute district not far from the old home at Willamulka. In 1918 they purchased a property at Wards Hill, south of Port Brouqhton, where they farmed until 1940. With the youngest members of the family, the twins, Gordon and Reginald, being attracted to Adelaide for training in the Police Academy, they moved to Grange. Keith continued on the farm. Alice died in 1957 and Bert died in 1963 in his 84th year.

Their children were Leonard Rothwell, Clarence Keith Merritt, Beryl Joyce, Edna Phylis, Reginald Alwyn and Gordon Robert.

Clarence Keith Merritt Hore (known as Keith) was born at Kadina in 1908 and farmed with his father at Wards Hill. He and Adelaide Joan Reardon (Addie) were married at Mundoora in 1932, and they had three children Alan Beverly (Bev), Jennifer Marjorie (Jenny) and Bronte Robin (Rob). In 1941 Keith and Addie, with their family, moved to Salters Springs where Keith managed the sheep station of the late W.A. West Estate. After the war they moved to Clare and while there Keith went into business. Later he joined the AMP Insurance Society as a Country Representative. In 1956 he was transferred to Kadina as the representative for the Yorke Peninsula district. He gained the honour of the highest sales for the year at one time.

Addie died on 26-2-1961 in Kadina.

Keith later married Leonie Wehr of Freeling. In 1971 they moved to Christies Beach to retire. Keith has been a talented singer and his vocal solo work and choir singing has been appreciated in many places. He won a singing scholarship at the Adelaide Conservatorium and he gained a singing contract with the Australian Broadcasting Commission. His ability as an organist in Churches wherever he has resided or been required, has been greatly appreciated. His active interest in the Freemasons lodge has involved him as an organist and with singing. He still teaches music (piano) and he is presently organist at the Christies Beach Anglican Church.

Keith died on 17-9-1993 from pulmonary embolism, a complication of Parkinson's and Motor Neurone Disease.

Alan Beverley was born at Port Broughton on 28-5-1933, where he attended school. When the family moved to Clare he served an apprenticeship as a Motor Mechanic. Then he promptly joined the South Australian Police Force. Bev finally worked for the Commonwealth Police Force at the Adelaide Airport where he was stationed for several years. He married Valerie Green on 26-5-1956 at Woodville S.A. He and Val lived at Pasadena and had two children. In early life Val lived at Maitland, but later they moved to the Adelaide suburb of Beverley. Val. was a typist/telephonist. She was a keen basketball player and in later years worked at Adelaide Airport Security.

Bev died in Adelaide on 24-1-1997 of complications from diabetes. Val still lives in the family home at Pasadena.

Bev and Val's son Wayne Alan started in the Adelaide Boys Band as a drummer at the age of 9 years. Later he was made a ‘life Member’ because of his service to the band. He became an instructor in the Band, while attending the Daws Road High School he was a member of their choir and band. At the age of 17 years Wayne joined the South Australian Police Force. He has been stationed at Thebarton, Prospect and Port Pirie. Sandra came from Tamworth in N.S.W. and for a time was Manageress of "Down Town" in Hindley Street, City. She is a keen netball player. They have a son Timothy who was born in Adelaide on 13-8-1995

Their daughter Gaylene was born in Adelaide on 26-5-1971. She went at school at Daws Road. She sings and plays various musical instruments.

Keith and Addies daughter. Jennifer Marjorie was born at Kadina on 2-7-1936 and attended school at Clare. She studied music to the eighth grade and still uses her musical gift as a pianist at a number of schools. At Kadina Jenny worked in the National Bank until she married Lyndon Clyde Queale who was state manager of Mercantile Credits. He belongs to the Rotary Club and he and Jenny work at some of the projects undertaken. Jenny follows orchestral and ballet concerts with much interest.

Jenny and Lyn's daughter Sally Anne Queale was born in Kadina on 3-6-1960 and attended the Brighton High School and was for some time a dental nurse. Recently she has become a representative for a Dental Company. She plays the piano and has been a keen netball, hockey and tennis player.

Their son, Michael Lyndon Queale was born in Kadina on 11-6-1962. He attended the Brighton High School and is a sales representative in the liquor industry. He worked in Sydney for a year but is back in his home State, He had a Rally Car and was involved in rally Competitions. He learned the piano and is keen on tennis and water ski-ing. He married Sally on 24th September 1988 and they have two boys, Oliver born in Adelaide on 10th June, 1993 and Louis also in Adelaide on 7th May 1996


Keith and Addies' youngest son Bronte Robin (Rob) was born at Baklava and attended school at Clare and Kadina. For a time he worked for the A.M.P. Society and GMAC in Adelaide and then joined the Royal Australian Navy in 1963. He has served on a number of ships in various parts of the world as a Navigator and Gunnery Officer. He specialised in Weapons and Ordnance Quality Assurance and has attained the rank of Commander. He married Irene Bregant in HMAS Cerberus on 20-12-69. He and Irene with their two children Susannah Robyn and Christopher Merritt are living in Canberra. He is now running his own consulting company and is currently in Saudi Arabia on assignment with the Riyad Bank.

Susannah Robyn was born in Melbourne on 23-4-70. She joined the Royal Australian Navy at the age of 17 and served in Melbourne, Sydney, Darwin and Canberra. On 18-1-97 she married Robert Rech of Queanbeyan in Canberra and has spent many years travelling the world to further her education.

Christopher Merritt was born in Frankston Vic on 7-6-71. He attended school at Seaforth, Pennant Hills and Penrith in NSW, Safety Bay in WA and Marist Brothers College in Canberra. He gained his Computer Science degree at the University of New England at Armidale in NSW. He married Kristie Ryan of Coffs Harbour on 24th March 1996 in Corin Forest ACT. They currently live in Canberra where Chris is a Computer Consultant and Kristie is a school teacher.

A scanned photocopy of an article about the Hores written by Hilary Murphy in his book " Families of Co. Wexford. " Sent to me by Art Kavanagh of IRISH FAMILY NAMES, Market Square, Bunclody, County Wexford IRELAND Email: ifn@indigo.ie on 16th May 2000

HORE occupies a place of special prominence amongst h Anglo-Norman names of Co. Wexford through the count historians, Herbert Francis Hore. and his son Philip, who were o the senior line of the family, and compiled voluminous records of the Hores and the role they played in the history of the county. The name itself derives from the Latin Canutus, Old French le Chanu, meaning 'hoary-headed' (Hore Mss). MacLysaght translates it as 'grey-haired' or grizzled', but also points out that 'hore' is an Anglo Saxon or Scandinavian, not a Norman word.

The name appears in the Ormond Deeds as early as 1190, often in the Latin form of Canutus.

In the lineage of Herbert Francis Hore given in Burke's Commoners, it is stated that the surname originated for distinguishing purposes at the time of the Crusades. It is also stated that the family held lands and high positions in south Wales after its conquest by the Normans, and that two very ancient lines of the family flourished in Devonshire and Cornwall.

The accepted tradition is that the first of the family to settle in Ireland were the brothers Philip and William Hore who came from Devonshire The earliest record of them as landowners is a grant of lands called after them Horetown, in the parish of Clongeen (Shelmalier West). This was directly after the conquest (Hore Mss). About 1334 they exchanged this property with the Furlongs of the Pole, afterwards called Polehore parish of Glynn. Thomas le Hore is recorded at Polehore in 1335 with hi sons Richard and Walter. They held that manor of the barony of Kayer (i.e. Wilton) 'to keep a passage over the Pill water of the Slaney as often as the sessions should be held at Wexford'. The family remained at Polehore until about 1882 when Philip sold the property.

The next oldest record dates back to 1247 when Thomas le Hore had possession of Tilladavins, parish of Tomhaggard in Bargy. He is called Chanu in the feodaries. Philip le Chanu was appointed bailiff of Tilladavins in 1283. It is remarkable to find a Hore family still in possession of a large part of Tilladavins, constituting a documented record of continued occupation possibly unsurpassed in Ireland today.

Another townland in Tornhaggard was called Hoarsland, but is longer identified as such. It was bounded on the north-east with the lands of Crossgales and Tomhaggard and on the south-cast with the lands of Plud and Poulrane (Civil Survey). The Hores also gave their name to Horeswood in Shelburne, Horesland (Horesloan) in Duncormick and another Horetown in Killinick.

The Hores had their principal seats at Polehore and Harperstown (Taghmon). The latter was acquired through the marriage in the fourteenth century of William Hore to the heiress of John le Harper. The Hores remained in possession of Harperstown down to the death of Waiter Ruthven Hore in 1878.

Edmund Hore of Harperstown transgressed the Statute of Kilkenny by marrying an Irish wife, a daughter of Gerald MacMurrough Kavanagh and thus forfeited his right of succession to the family estates. His uncle David Hore endeavoured to gain possession but failed and killed Edmond and his wife in revenge.

In common with the other Norman families the Hores were Catholic: Thomas of the Polehore branch was Abbot of Dunbrody in 1447, and was sent on an important mission to Pope Eugenius IV (Hore lineage in Burke's Commoners of Ireland). The heads of the two chief families, William of Harperstown and Christopher of Polehore, signed the great roll of the Catholic Confederation, and were prominent in the Rebellion of 1641. Both forfeited their estates in the Cromwellian confiscations, but most of their lands were later restored to their successors who became Protestants.

In the records of that period it is stated that William was at the at the siege of Duncannon in July, 1642, and marched to the aid of Alexander Redmond, of Redmond's Hall (Fethard-on-Sea) with Colonel Devereux of Mountpill (Tornhaggard) and Captain Roche, Drinagh (Wexford). They attacked and defeated the English, killing about one hundred of them and taking many prisoners. He also fought in the Battle of Ballinvegga (near New Ross) in which his eldest son and heir, Waiter Hore, was killed. William died in 1666.

Walter, who was killed, had been married to Alison, daughter of Colonel Nicholas Devereux, Ballymagyr.

Harperstown next came to Walter's eldest son, William Hore. Cromwell granted his estates, in 1655, to Captain Thomas Holmes who held them till June 3, 1663, when William Hore recovered them in the Court of Claims under a decree of innocency, due to having been educated a Protestant. He was High Sheriff of the county in 1681. He was the ancestor of the Hores who continued to own Harperstown for the next two centuries.

In a letter to The People (15-2-1907) Philip Hore attributes to his father, Herbert Hore, the incorrect statement in volume V of his county history that William Hore, proprietor of Harperstown in 1641, was a Protestant, adding that 'no Protestant, however tolerant or broadminded his principles, would have been allowed to sign the great roll of the Catholic Confederation.'

Philip Hore incurred the resentment of his Catholic kinsmen with his reference, in the Introduction to Volume 5 of his county history, to 'the descendants of Cromwell's soldiers forming the greater part of the population of the county. Following scathing criticism for this indiscretion, Hore, in a letter To The People (21-12-1906), expressed his regret, saying he did not mean the actual soldiers who. fought under Cromwell but all those English settlers and adventurers for lands who swarmed into Ireland at the close of the Cromwellian war.

His prejudice against the Catholic Irish was revealed again when he wrote . 'Catholics cannot complain of the fortunes of war; they were on the losing side and would undoubtedly if they had had power have endeavored to carry out the same measures of banishment for the Protestant proprietors, their idea and object in 1641 being to possess a wholly Catholic Ireland governed entirely by themselves in which everything of English origin was to be excluded'.

A claim that the senior branch of the Harperstown Hores was represented by Edmund Hore, of Coldblow (near Our Lady's Island) was rejected by Philip Hore. It was claimed (People 5-1-1907) that the senior branch descended from the elder brother who had refused to conform and, having to leave Harperstown, leased a farm at Killelane (St. Helen's in Forth). Here they lived for some generations before moving to Kisha and Coldblow.

The head of this family was Edmund Hore, a leading Catholic and nationalist chairman of Wexford Board of Guardians and member of Wexford County Council who, it was asserted, was the rightful head of the historic old house at Harperstown. Edmund died in 1920.

Dismissing this claim, Philip Hore suggested (People 15-2-1907) that Edmund Hore might have descended from Walter Hore (younger brother of William who inherited Harperstown and who appears to have settled at Ardenagh, near Taghmon, but was never in the first male line of descent. (In the Burke's Commoners lineage it is stated that this Walter apparently had possession of the estate under James 11, and was M.P., for Taghmon in 1689).

There were several junior branches of the family in the South of the county -at Ardenagh, Clone, Coolcull, Ballyshelin, Growtown, Drinagh, Traceystown, Muchwood, Coolcliffe, Tullibards, Taghmon, Mountpill, etc.

In 1758 Walter Hore of Harperstown married Anne Stopford, whose father was afterwards created Earl of Courtown. Walter's son William, in the days before the 1798 rebellion, was active on the loyalist side against the insurgents. The story is told that on returning from Dublin to Wexford a few days before the rebellion began, he entered the house of a blacksmith named Redmond of Harveystown, accused him of making pikes for the rebels and immediately burned down the man's house. A few days later, Hore wag captured by the insurgents and was one of the first to be piked on Wexford bridge.

His son Walter married the only sister of the Earl of Ruthven, in Scotland and they had three sons and seven daughters. The last of the sons was killed in the Crimean War and a grandson an officer in the Royal Navy, became heir to the Ruthven and Harperstown properties. Lord Gowrie Minister for Arts in Mrs. Thatcher's cabinet in the 1980s, is a member of this family.

Another Edmund Hore, born at Kisha, near Our Lady's Island, in 1800, was editor of the "Wexford Independent" and an authority on the history of Forth and Bargy. It was he who composed and read the address of welcome in the Barony of Forth dialect for Lord Mulgrave, Viceroy of Ireland, on the occasion of his visit to the Talbots of Ballytrent in 1836.

He received his early education from James Fortune who ran a classical school at Ballyfane, Carne. In 1816 he became a student in the Wexford Seminary and continued his studies for the priesthood in St. Peter's College when it opened in 1819. However, he adopted journalism as a career and became editor of the Wexford Independent".

Edmund Hore died unexpectedly at Ballingarry, Co. Tipperary, o May 15, 1879, and was buried in the old cemetery at Kilmachree.

The Hores are noted for their contribution to the service of the Church in the Diocese of Ferns possibly greater than any of the other priestly families of Wexford. As parish priests they were responsible for the building of many churches in the last century.

Fr. Thomas Hore, a native of Coldblow, Barony of Forth, brought a group of his parishioners from Killaveney parish in South Wicklow (Diocese of Ferns) to America after the famine and settled them in place since called Wexford in Iowa. He had spent six years as missionary in Virginia after his ordination. When he returned to Ferns in 1828 he was appointed Administrator of the parish of Camolin.

In 1841 he became pastor of Annacurra and Killaveney where he built the present church of St. Kevin in 1844. After settling his colony in Iowa he returned to Ferns in 1857 and was appointed curate in Cairn parish Ballindaggin, where he built the church. Two years later he was given the pastoral charge of Cloughbawn where he died on June 14, 1864.

Fr. Denis Hore, who spent twenty-three years as curate in Poulpeasty and Templeudigan, organised the successful legal fight for the freeing of the White Mountain which MacMurrough Kavanagh of Borris and Bruen of Carlow tried to claim as their own. The poor people living on the mountain were not allowed to take turf from it or use it for grazing. Daniel O'Connell was engaged to fight their case which wound up in the House of Lords.

Fr. Hore was born in Ballinaclay, near Taghmon, and died parish priest of Gorey in 1850.

Fr. Patrick Hore was pastor. of Taghmon in 1644 and is buried in -the local Protestant church; Fr. Michael Hore, O.F.M., Wexford, acted as curate in Whitechurch (Glynn) from 1825 to 1835; Fr. Hore, from Ballybrennan (Bree) was parish priest of Oulart from 1823 to 1830; Fr. David Hore was pastor of Blackwater from 1842 to 1846; Fr. Nicholas Hore was transferred from Tintern to the pastoral charge of Adamstown (1876-1887) and subsequently of Rathangan where he died in 1906; Canon Thomas Hore, a native of Coldblow, Broadway, was parish priest of Oylegate from 1892 to 1899; Fr. Thomas Hore (of Tilladavins) was Administrator of Wexford parish from 1911 to 1922 and parish priest of Monageer until his death in 1936; his brother Canon David Hore died parish priest of Rathnure in 1952. Fr. Simon Hore, Franciscan Friary, Wexford, who died in December, 1901, was born at Hill-of-Sea (Rosslare) in 1833. He was Guardian of the Wexford Friary, 1889-91.

In the Church of Ireland, Rev. Thomas Hore, son of Colonel Walter Hore, Harperstown, was appointed Rector of Kiltennel in 1787; Rev. Walter Hore, of Seafield, Wexford, was Prebendary of Kilrush in 1817 (Leslie).

The Hore tradition of church service is being continued today by Fr. Michael Hore of the St. Patrick's Missionary Society, Kiltegan, who is a member of the Tilladavins family.

A contemporary of Edmund Hore's in public life was James Hore of George St., Wexford, who died in 1923, at the age of 91. He had been a member of Wexford Corporation, Harbour Board and other bodies.

Hores also have a long association with the business life of Wexford town. The former 'Radio House' in South Main St., was until 1978 owned by Simon Hore, whose family came from Hill-o-Sea, near Rosslare. His father, Nicky Hore, was one of the foremost amateur comedians and musicians of his time. Another long established business in South Main St. is Hore's drapery and footwear store.

See also The People 4-1-1890 (Hores of Harperstown), and family history by Philip Hore, People 4-2-1916, 11-2-1916.

View from the front of Horetown House - the battle ground in 1798 where a lot of people were killed

Susannah at the crossroads of her heritage

The Horetown Church - about all that is left of Horetown (and it is still used!)

Horetown House near Wexford in Ireland


The townsland of Horetown dates back to the time of the Norman landings In Ireland in 1169 when brothers Philip and William Hore, who came from Devonshire, were granted the lands of Horetown, directly after the conquest. Shortly after, the Furlongs arrived with Strongbow and established a family castle in Pole, on the River Slaney.

In 1334 a marriage between the Hore and Furlong families saw the exchange of properties. When the Hores took up residents In Pole It was named Polehore. The Hores remained at Polehore until 1882 when the property was sold.

In 1350 Philip Furlong founded a friary at Horetown for the Carmelite friars, but the site has never been determined. The village of Foulksmills took its name from Sir Fulke Furlong, Seneschal of the Liberties of Wexford in 1413. The Furlongs remained In Horetown until the Cromwellian confiscations when they were transplanted to Connacht, however, one James Furlong moved to a farm at Horetown near Glynn and the family line continued from there. At the time of the Cromwellian confiscation, William Goff, who was related by montage to Oliver Cromwell, and a top ranking general in Cromwell’s Army and signatory of Charles I death warrant ,was granted the lands of Horetown. After the fall of Cromwell and the re-establishment of the Monarchy, William Goff escaped to America with General Whalley (his father-in-law) leaving his wife and son Richard Goff in Ireland who became members of the Society of Friends (Quakers).

The construction of Horetown House began circa 1692 and probably took two or three years to complete. Richard’s son Jacob, born in 1736, married Miss Elizabeth Wilson (whose grandmother was Mary Bewley of the famous coffee house). It was while their large family of twenty two children were growing that the Rebellion of 1798 occurred. Dinah, Jacob’s youngest daughter, wrote a graphic account of her family’s experiences during the Rebellion and was published in a Society book tiled "Divine Providence".

William Goff succeeded to Horetown In December 1798. His son failed to produce an heir to Horetown (after two marriages) and it was William’s grandson Strangman Davis (son of his eldest daughter Rebecca) who, after assuming the name Davis-Gaff, by Royal Licence in 1845 became heir to Horetown. By 1850 Strangman Davis-Goff became an enthusiastic

photographer. It was during 1845 that further additions to the House were made and construction of a stable and coach yards. Strangman made two important records of the construction of Horetown Church firstly in May1857 and later in November when the Gable walls were almost complete.

Strangman’s son William Davis-Goff, another avid photographer and entrepreneur was the last Goff to reside at Horetown. With expanding business interests at Waterford he moved his family there, abandoned Horetown in the late 1890s and let it for a pittance to surrounding estates. He pioneered motoring in the south-east and during a visit by King Edward VII to Waterford for services rendered, William was made a baron and the family reverted to Protestantism. Three generations later the Goff name continues, Sir Robert Goff, his mother Cynthia, and family reside In Dublin.

It Is from around 1910 that Horetown once again comes to life. Major Anthony Lakin whose family originated in Warwickshire, England, was stationed In New Ross with his cavalry unit and became friendly with the Fitzgeralds of Johnstown Castle. In or around 1910 he left the army, became Master of the Wexford Fox Hounds and married Lady Kathleen Fitzgerald. Tony returned to the Army to fight during the 1st World War and upon his return rented Horetown where he found stables, kennels and outhouses perfect for his role of Master of the Hounds. He bought Horetown in 1920.

Tragically Kathleen Fitzgerald was killed during a hunting accident, leaving two young sons and a heartbroken husband. The two sons, following In their fathers footsteps joined the Army and served during the 2nd World War. The eldest son Gerald was killed and Victor, four years younger, returned severely wounded.

Victor inherited his mothers estate, Johnstown Castle, which he subsequently passed to the Irish Government for the sum of one shilling on the proviso that it be restored and used for agricultural research and education purposes. He later moved to France to study architecture at the Beaus Art and married. Her father remained at Horetown until 1951.

It was from the Lakin Estate that the Young family purchased Horetown in 1961 almost 300 years after the first stone was laid.

Hore Abbey

The 13th century Hore Abbey is set in farmland just a few hundred yards from the base of the Rock of Cashel. It was the last daughter house - a religious house which was affiliated to the main monastery - of Mellifont's Cistercians and was a gift from a 13th century archbishop who expelled the Benedictine monks after dreaming that they had plans to murder him. The ruins are fairly extensive and it's a short walk from the base of the Rock. The abbey sits in the middle of a cow pasture. It's easy to get to the abbey, but watch out for the cows and the cow pie.

Just walk this way sir!

Rob at Hore Abbey

The sign says " HORE ABBEY was originally of the Benedictine order. In 1272 however, Archbishop David McCarvill of Cashel, having dreamed that the monks made an attempt on his life, violently dispossessed them of their house and lands. He brought the Cistercians from the important Monastery at Mellifont in County Loeth to found a NEW Cistercian Order and he himself took the habit of that order. Hore Abbey was the last of the Cistercian foundation in Ireland. The Abbey is a fine limestone building and many of the masons employed in its construction would have also worked in building the cathedral on the rock. The church consists of a nave and chancel and two transepts which each had two chapels originally. Much of the church is 13th century in date. The tower was added in the 15th century."


Hore Abbey - Up close and personal

The ROCK at Cashel as seen from HORE ABBEY

The ROCK at Cashel in Ireland




History of the Family Of Hoar/Hoare


History of the Hore Family Coat of Arms


The Founding of the Hore Family of Rushford